Stanier Class 545075 with an Up freight through Woodlesford in July 1964. The loco was built for the LMS in 1935 at the Vulcan Foundry at Newton-le-Willows and was based at Normanton shed. Photo by Alan Bailey.
Alan Bailey worked at Woodlesford in 1964 as part of his railway training. He only spent a few months there but as an enthusiast he took many photographs, and he subsequently wrote an article for the railway history magazine, Backtrack. Below, in 2007, he remembered the daily routine and some of the characters he worked with.
British Railways Standard Class 377010 with a coal train. June 1964. The loco was built at Swindon in 1954, one of 20 designed by Robert Riddles. It was originally based at Darlington and spent most of its life in the north east and at Hull. It was transferred to Stourton in February 1964 from where it was the first of its class to be withdrawn in Novembert 1965. Photo by Alan Bailey.