Skip to main content


The Story of a Station
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Water Haigh Colliery
1910 Disaster
1921 Strike
1933 Explosion
Meet The Miner
Ambulance Teams
Lady Docker
Frank Williams
Fred Warburton
Billy Williams
Albert Roberts MP
Walter Kellett
Fred Baxter
Fred Lunn
Victor Lucek
Glyn Edwards
Dave Fallowfield
Jack Carrington
Hugh McClelland
Frank Papuga
Frances Rigby
Arthur Wrigglesworth
Dennis Watson
George Gater
Harry Ellis
Winding Gear
Colliery Plans
Outing Club
Ian Wallace
Jim Hardwick
Grafton Whincup
Eric Rymer
Terry Greaves
Deaths and Injuries
Stan Penn
Jack Varley
Charles Nankervis
Richard Knowles
William Hemingway
Pit Top Locos
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Post Offices
Site Map
Historical Dates
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
Arthur Wrigglesworth on a trip to Scarborough with his wife Nellie. The younger girl is June Horton and behind her is Elsie Whittaker.

Although there was no major disaster at Water Haigh colliery during its working life there were several accidents in which miners died, and numerous others which caused significant injuries. One was a roof fall on 15 February  1934 in which Arthur Wrigglesworth lost his right leg. It was amputated below the knee by a Methley doctor whilst he was still conscious underground. Surgeons at Leeds Infirmary later had to perform another amputation above his knee and his younger brother, Ernest, was sent for to give blood.

Arthur was born in 1898 and grew up as part of a large family at Main Street in Carlton. His father, Richard Wrigglesworth, had been a colliery surface labourer and later worked at the coke ovens in Robin Hood. Arthur's first job, at the age of 13, was as a farm labourer but like his elder brothers he was soon working as a "rope boy" helping in the haulage of coal tubs underground at pits in Rothwell, before moving to Water Haigh.

After his accident he moved with his family to a small colliery owned house on Quarry Road (known to locals as Tea Cake Lane) close by the Midland Hotel. Up until his death from cancer in 1952 he was a familiar site in Woodlesford as he made his way to work on crutches, often assisted by his wife and only daughter, Nellie. She was born in 1921 and was only 13 when her dad had his accident. Here she vividly remembers the night the news was passed to her and her mother at home in Carlton, and how, after his recovery, her father rejected the paltry £200 compensation offered by the pit management.


Arthur Wrigglesworth's daughter, Nellie Jones, talks about her father's accident

Arthur outside his house in Quarry Road behind the Midland Hotel.