Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
North Midland Railway
Opening of the Line
Midland Railway
Toffs and Trains
Maps & Plans
Accidents
Carriage Mishap
Station Building
Wagon Labels
Tickets
Posters & Handbills
Timetables
Royal Visits
Express Trains
Coal Trains
Diesel Multiple Units
Pullman Carriages
Diversions
Streaks
Sheffield Stopper
Freight Trains
Goods and Parcels
Flying Scotsman
Station House
Footbridge
Scarborough Spa Express
Travelling to Leeds
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
Coal trains were the mainstay of the freight traffic passing through Woodlesford. Water Haigh colliery and
pits from further down the line supplied coal to Skelton Grange power station via the sidings at Waterloo.


War Department "Austerity" 8F 90678 of Wakefield shed brings a coal train through Woodlesford. May 1964. The
locomotive was built at the Vulcan Foundry in 1944 and scrapped in 1967. Photo by Alan Bailey.


Jubilee class  45645, Collingwood, passes through on the Up line with a train of empties. The Jubilee 4-6-0 engines were
built between 1934 and 1936 by the London Midland and Scottish Railway and up until the 1960s were usually to be found
on express passenger trains. Photo David Holmes. 

Fowler 0-6-0 44044 running tender first with another train of 16 ton empty coal wagons in November 1960 before the
track and platforms were raised due to mining subsidence. The loco was based at Stourton, the nearest engine shed to
Woodlesford. It was scrapped in 1965 at Draper's in Hull. Photo Neville Stead.
  


All rights reserved