Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
1910 Disaster
1921 Strike
1933 Explosion
Meet The Miner
Ambulance Teams
Lady Docker
Frank Williams
Fred Warburton
Billy Williams
Albert Roberts MP
Walter Kellett
Fred Baxter
Fred Lunn
Victor Lucek
Glyn Edwards
Dave Fallowfield
Jack Carrington
Hugh McClelland
Frank Papuga
Frances Rigby
Arthur Wrigglesworth
Dennis Watson
George Gater
Harry Ellis
Winding Gear
Colliery Plans
Outing Club
Ian Wallace
Jim Hardwick
Locomotives
Grafton Whincup
Eric Rymer
Terry Greaves
Deaths and Injuries
Stan Penn
Jack Varley
Charles Nankervis
Timeline
Richard Knowles
William Hemingway
Pit Top Locos
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP


"Elizabeth" with four side-tipping "Jubilee" wagons. In the background is the aerial ropeway which took waste to the slag heap between the canal and the river.
 
Water Haigh Colliery had several small tank engines for shunting wagons and marshalling coal trains. One of their tasks was to push full wagons to a loading basin on the Aire and Calder canal for loading onto Tom Pudding barges which were towed to power stations or the docks at Goole. Their other job was to make up daily trains of coal to be hauled away by mainline engines which normally came from Stourton engine shed.

Dave Fallowfield was one of the colliery engine drivers in the 1950s and 1960s. He came from a farming family and grew up on Water Haigh farm before leaving school to work in market gardening. After he got married he couldn't survive on the low wages so he applied for a job at the pit.

He started as a surface worker in 1954 and graduated first to be a shunter and then a driver. His favourite engine was "Elizabeth" which arrived at the pit in 1927 a few months after the 1926 strike. It was named after the future Queen who was born on 21 April 1926. 

Click on the links below to listen to Dave Fallowfield talking about his early life and the engine driving routine.
 
 
Click on this link to read an article about Water Haigh published in Railway Bylines magazine.
 
 
"Elizabeth" shunts wagons at the colliery "Top End" in 1965. In the background are houses along Eshald Lane, built from bricks made at the Armitage brickworks which was situated just to the left of this scene. The area is now covered by trees. Photo by A T Jones.
 
"Elizabeth" with the winding gear for one of the two shafts in the background. The wooden bodied railway wagons were used on the internal sidings. The privately owned road lorries behind the engine transported coal to local factories and mills, mainly in the Bradford area. Photo by Derek Rayner.