A Deltic hauled Pullman passes Water Haigh colliery in the early 1960s. Photo by Derek Rayner.
During the week it was unusual to see this kind of train and locomotive at Woodlesford because they normally ran betweeen Leeds Central and London Kings Cross on the Great Northern route via Wakefield Westgate. However on Sundays, if there was engineering work on that line, they were diverted to the Midland Main Line and could reach Doncaster, either via Knottingley and Askern, or be routed back onto the Great Northern at Hare Park Junction just south of Wakefield.
With headcode 1N07 this is the Harrogate Sunday Pullman. In the winter of 1962 it left Kings Cross at 0945 and was timetabled to run though Woodlesford via Hare Park Junction and Turner's Lane Junction near Wakefield Kirkgate. It was due to arrive at Leeds City at 1334 where it was divided with one portion running to Bradford Forster Square and the other to Harrogate.
When Deltics passed by the distinctive throaty roar of their Napier diesel engines would often disturb the Holy Communion service at Woodlesford All Saints church.
The signals protected the junction of the line from Water Haigh colliery onto the main line.
The bridge in the middle distance was constructed in 1909 just before the pit opened in 1910. The contractors were John Butler and Company of the Stanningley Iron Works in Leeds and they charged the Midland Railway £270 and 1 shilling. The line which runs under it connected Armitage's quarry and brickworks to the railway and the Aire and Calder canal.
Some of the rails from the line to the quarry and brickworks are still embedded in the roadway along Eshald Lane.