Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Ralph Burnell
Mick Jones
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
This view of the "Up" platform, looking south towards Methley, would have been easily recognisable by train crews from when the station opened in 1840 right through to the late 1960s. The station was exactly 190 miles from St Pancras in London, a fact which is still marked by a Midland Railway milepost. The height of the line towards Methley and hence the platforms was raised in the late 1950s following mining subsidence caused by the underground workings at Water Haigh colliery. 
 
A Fowler 4F loco, 44099 of Royston shed, departs Woodlesford for Leeds with a
stopping passenger train. Photographed from a passing DMU by Peter Rose.