Calverley Road, Oulton. Hopewell House, on the right, was once a local beer house knicknamed The Jolly Toper. Elizabeth Glazebrook's brothers discovered steps in the garden leading to an abandoned cellar. In the 1950s and 60s the house was the home of Dr. Mary Goodson.
Elizabeth Glazebrook grew up in Oulton and has something of a unique heritage as she can trace her roots back to the Bentley brewing family and also to their great rivals in Leeds - the Tetley's. As a child she remembers her father and brothers joking about which beer they should drink!
On her mother's side of the family Elizabeth's grandmother was Edythe Mildred Hoyle, the daughter of Charles Frederick Hoyle, managing director of Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries until his sudden death in 1913. He was the younger brother of Jane Walker Hoyle who married Henry Bentley Junior.
Elizabeth's father was Arthur Rimington Glazebrook, a solicitor who ran the firm of Dibb Lupton in Leeds. It was his father, the famous Cambridge physicist Sir Richard Tetley Glazebrook, who was related to the Tetley brewing family.
Before she was born in 1946 Elizabeth's family had lived at Iveridge Hall in Oulton but moved to Croft Cottage on Calverley Road when Iveridge was requisitioned as a base for fire wardens during the Second World War.
During the war her mother and brothers lived for a time at Scalby near Scarborough in a house which was owned by the widow of Charles Frederick Hoyle's son, also called Charles Frederick. He had been born in Oulton and became a colliery agent after first working at Allerton pit owned by T. & R. W. Bower Ltd.
Lieut.- Col. C.F.Hoyle.
Like his father he was an officer in the Territorial Army winning a Military Cross in the First World War where he served in Egypt and at Gallipoli. He was also an early member of the Royal Flying Corps. He was only 46 when he died in 1934 at Hatfield Lodge near Doncaster. He was buried in the family vault at Oulton.
Although she knew of the Bentley connection when she was young Elizabeth was not aware that her great grandfather Hoyle had lived for many years at The Grove, a house in Oulton where she went as a girl to watch the 1953 Coronation on one of the few televisions in the village. By that time the house was owned by the Armitage quarry owning family. It was demolished to make way for the Grove Motel.
After Elizabeth's grandmother was married to Phillip Saltmarshe Marsden, the agent for the Temple Newsam estate, they moved to Whitkirk, but for a time lived at Oulton Green, which was owned by the Calverley estate. The house later became the clubhouse for Oulton Miners' Welfare.
Click on the links below to hear Elizabeth's family history and how she used to visit Oulton Hall which, during her youth, was a hospital for the mentally handicapped.
Elizabeth Glazebrook - Bentley's or Tetley's?
Elizabeth Glazebrook - Visits to Oulton Hall.
Arthur Rimington and Joan Annie Glazebrook. He died in 1971. Joan was killed in a car crash, along with two other Oulton pensioners, at the junction of Bullerthorpe Lane and Selby Road in 1982.
Its believed this photo was taken in the grounds of The Grove, once the home of Bentley's managing director, Charles Frederick Hoyle.
A landau as used by the local gentry. The identity of the building is unknown.
A portrait of Lorna Martin who married the colliery
agent, Charles Frederick Hoyle.
WEDDING AT OULTON.
MR. MARSDEN AND MISS E. M. HOYLE.
Yorkshire Evening Post, Wednesday 12 August 1903.
A wedding which aroused considerable local interest took place this afternoon at St. John's Church, Oulton, the contracting parties being Miss Edythe Mildred Hoyle, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles F. Hoyle, of Hollin Hall, and Mr. Phillip Saltmarsh Marsden, Hoar Cross, Staffordshire, and son of the late Mr. George William Marsden, solicitor, Wakefield.
Pretty the church looked with its decorations of white flowers and palms, and the choral service was beautifully rendered, Mr. John Morley being at the organ. Relatives and friends gathered in large numbers, while the residents of Oulton, Woodlesford, and surrounding districts were deeply interested in the ceremony, which was conducted by the Rev. E. H. Dykes (Vicar), the Rev. A. J. Irving (cousin of the bride), and the Rev. R. Garrad.
The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a dress of white satin, trimmed with old family lace and pearls, and orange blossom, white heather, and myrtle. She also carried a bouquet of orchids and lilies, the gift of the Hon. Mrs. Meynell-Ingrain, and put together by the head-gardener at Hoar Cross (Mr. Rowley).
There were six bridesmaids, viz., Miss Beatrice and Miss Susan Hoyle, sisters the bride), Miss E. White, Miss K. White, and Miss Maud Major (cousins of the bride), and Miss Laverack. They were attired in white satin, with cornflower blue hats and each of them received from the bridegroom a gift the shape of plan gold bracelet. Mrs. Hoyle wore a black accordean-pleated dress over white silk, and carried a bouquet of pink roses.
The best man was Mr. Edward Marsden (cousin of the bridegroom). Subsequently a reception was held by Mr. and Mrs. Hoyle at Hollin Hall, where the newly-married couple recieved the congratulations of many friends. A pleasing programme of music, was played by the band of the Leeds Engineers. Mr. and Mrs. Marsden, during the afternoon, drove into Leeds, and then took the train for the Lake District. The bride's going-away dress was of pale blue serge. The wedding presents were numerous and costly.