Skip to main content


The Story of a Station
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Frank Barlow Burnley
Frank Jackson
Cecil Joseph Abson
George Atack
Fred James
Ray Bapty
David Johnson
Jack Perry MBE
Barrie Ward
Alan Bailey
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Post Offices
Site Map
Historical Dates
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
Lorry driver George Hilyard Kitchener Atack is on the left of this picture which was taken in Woodlesford station yard on a sunny morning before the Second World War. Porter Jimmy Bushel is on the right but the identities of the two other men are unknown. George lived on Rufus Street in Hunslet and drove his wagon to the Rothwell district every morning delivering heavy goods which had arrived by freight train at the Hunslet Lane goods station. He then went to Woodlesford station to collect parcels and perishables for delivery before picking up consignments such as rhubarb which he took back to Hunslet Lane. George Atack's son, also called George, used to travel with his father on the lorry and he too became a railway driver based in Leeds. Jimmy Bushel was born in Pentney in Norfolk in 1884 and started work at Woodlesford before the First World War as a horse driver. In 1911 he was lodging at 48 Alma Hill. By 1915 he had been promoted to be a van goods checker when he married Eleanor Wilkinkson, the daughter of local carter and coal delivery man John Wilkinson. Jimmy and Eleanor lived at 26 Church Street where they brought up two children, John E. Bushel born in 1916 and Constance J. Bushel born in 1918. Jimmy died in 1960. The lorry which had solid rubber tyres was registered in Hertfordshire in about 1927 by the head office of the road motor department of the London Midland and Scottish Railway.