Skip to main content


The Story of a Station
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Water Haigh Colliery
1910 Disaster
1921 Strike
1933 Explosion
Meet The Miner
Ambulance Teams
Lady Docker
Frank Williams
Fred Warburton
Billy Williams
Albert Roberts MP
Walter Kellett
Fred Baxter
Fred Lunn
Victor Lucek
Glyn Edwards
Dave Fallowfield
Jack Carrington
Hugh McClelland
Frank Papuga
Frances Rigby
Arthur Wrigglesworth
Dennis Watson
George Gater
Harry Ellis
Winding Gear
Colliery Plans
Outing Club
Ian Wallace
Jim Hardwick
Grafton Whincup
Eric Rymer
Terry Greaves
Deaths and Injuries
Stan Penn
Jack Varley
Charles Nankervis
Richard Knowles
William Hemingway
Pit Top Locos
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Post Offices
Site Map
Historical Dates
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
Ian Wallace played in the the Water Haigh 7-a-side football team. This photo was taken at Primrose Hill colliery at Swillington.
Back row: Derek Gater, Terry Greaves, George Gater, Phil Wheelhouse.

Front row: Dennis Watson, Ian Wallace, Peter Knee.


Ian Wallace was an electrician at Water Haigh from 1961 until the pit closed in 1970. Both his grandfathers were miners and his father was a motor engineer ending his career as works manager at Smith and Robinson's haulage business in Rothwell.


Ian was born in 1946 and spent his early life in a miner's cottage in the hamlet of Newton near Fairburn Ings north of Castleford. The family moved to Swillington in 1959 and when he left school at the age of 15 Ian chose to be a mining apprentice largely because the wages on offer were much greater than other apprenticeships.


After initial training at Whitwood Technical College he was sent to Water Haigh where he worked on electrical machinery in the fittting shop on the pit top and underground. It included the cutting machines and conveyor belts used to transport the coal from the faces as well the "gate-end boxes" which distributed the high voltage electrical power.


In his spare time Ian played in the pit's 7-a-side football team. On two occasions in the mid-1960s they were winners of a competition between teams from 16 local collieries in the No. 8 Area of the Yorkshire coalfield. The competition was organised by CISWO - the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation. As part of  his training he was aslo selected to go on outward bound courses in North Wales and Derbyshire.


With other apprentices Ian used to drink "under age" in the Midland Hotel in Woodlesford when the landlords were Bert and Bill Pollard. One Saturday evening they were nearly caught out when they went in to find Bill reading the Green Final edition of the Yorkshire Evening Post. At first he ignored the group but when he left the bar and they picked up the paper they found it featured a photograph of three of them in the Great Preston Juniors which was an under 18 team! Luckily Bill saw the funny side and they got their pints.  


Its not known where this photo was taken but from the design of the props, supports and machinery its believed by ex-miners to have been in the early 1960s. The men are operating an undercutting coal machine similar to those manufactured by British Jeffrey-Diamond in Wakefield. The photo was in the collection of Jim Hardwick who was a joiner on the surface at Water Haigh. 

By the time Ian arrived at Water Haigh the long serving manager, Billy Williams, had been promoted to a senior role in the No. 8 Area and Ian remembers his successors Eric Mitchell followed by Tom Pearson. The electrical engineer when he started was Bernard Tonkinson who went to Glasshoughton colliery then an area job. He was followed by Terry MacDonald who moved to Savile colliery at Methley when Water Haigh closed. The foreman electrician was Jim Smart who left to become an instructor at Allerton Workshops Training Centre.


Ian still has a miner's safety Davy lamp which belonged to overman Sam Hartley which he bought for 36 shillings when the lamps were replaced with Garforth lamps.


In the early 1960s there was an expectation that Water Haigh would remain open for many years to come and Ian remembers the National Coal Board investing money in the pit for two roadways which were driven under the canal and River Aire. They were designed to open up a new face called 81s under the Swillington area where there was believed to be a square mile of coal.


Unfortunately the pit lived up to its name and the "horrendous" wet conditions meant that Ian and the other electricians had to work round the clock to keep the pumps working. Eventually the N.C.B. decided that it was uneconomic to keep the venture going and ultimately it led to the pit's closure.


Click on the links below to hear Ian Wallace talk about his time at Water Haigh including his face training where he was given a bonus by the experienced men he was working with. He also describes the electrical machinery and the methods used to cut the coal and remembers some of the many "immigrants" from abroad which resulted in the pit being one of the most multinational in the country. 


Ian Wallace. Basic training at Whitwood.

Ripping yarns and other stories.

Chapatis and raw onions.

A team of taligate rippers in 1969. From left to right: Jamaican born Vernon Taylor, Wladyslav Gubala from Poland. Myall Titt from Wales, and Eric Victor Smith from Leeds. 
Water Haigh staithe. In the background is the aerial ropeway which carried muck to the slag heaps between the canal and river.