Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
John Hugh Mowatt
William Henry Casson
Job Starbuck
James McDonald
Thomas William Turner
Edward Marshall Cook
Edwin James Deverell
Christopher Lowis
Reginald Arkinstall
Robert Harold Roberts
John Williams Pierce
Tom Swaby
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP

Named after a famous Victorian opera singer the Jenny Lind was designed by David Joy and built by James Fenton of E.B.Wilson and Company at the Railway Foundry in Leeds in 1847 for the London Brighton and South Coast Railway. Joy probably tested this engine on runs from Hunslet through Woodlesford to Normanton and back. More than 70 identical engines were built making it one of the first locomotives to be mass produced. 24 were bought by the Midland Railway and they would have regularly hauled trains through Woodlesford.


John Hugh Mowatt could well have been the first station master at Woodlesford, and it appears he was also the first in line of a small railway dynasty. Its not known if he was appointed for the opening of the station in 1840, but he was certainly in post by Christmas 1844 as the first official reference to him comes in a Report to the Committee of the Privy Council of an accident on 27 December. It records that a train from Manchester to Leeds ran into the back of one from York in foggy conditions in the late afternoon. Mowatt got the blame for not setting his signal against the Manchester train to prevent it from running into the back of the York train. It was running late since it had to shunt two wagons into the Woodlesford goods yard sidings.

 

The collision happened on the curve in the line between Woodlesford and Waterloo sidings. The Manchester train caught up with the one from York and crashed into the rear carriage which became detached from its train, the driver carrying on to Hunslet Lane with the rest of the train, unaware that anything untoward had happened. 

 

In those early days before more sophisticated signalling was invented trains were regulated by keeping them 5 minutes apart and after this accident that duration was increased to 10 minutes. Mr Mowatt was fined and given a good ticking off by his bosses from the newly formed Midland Railway. 

 

Only one passenger was injured in that incident but it appears that Mowatt was somewhat accident prone as his name appears in another report from 1850. This time a guard from York was knocked down by a train from Nottingham. The injured man, who also ran a pub, was taken to Leeds by the train which knocked him down but died on the way.

 

According to research by his ancestor John Dixon, John Hugh Mowatt was born in 1793 in St George's Parish,  Grenada in the Windward Islands. His family owned a plantation but probably ran into hard times during the Slaves Rebellion which led to John Hugh joining the 5th Dragoon Guards as a musician in Canterbury in 1812. He went on to serve in Spain and France and was eventually discharged from the army as a Chelsea Pensioner after being injured in Ireland.


Mowatt married his first wife Ann Gregory at Fulford near York on 14 December 1818. She died in the station house at Woodlesford and he remarried Mary Wright from Skipton at Rothwell Parish Church in 1851. She was the daughter of a railway ticket collector. Census records show that they lived at the station house with three children from the first marriage and two from the second marriage.


John’s son James from his first marriage worked at Woodlesford station as a clerk and was still living at 10 Princes Street during 1881. His brother William was a coal agent who moved to York and then Newcastle. James later contacted gangrene in his leg and died in the care of his brother's family at Newcastle.


John Hugh and Mary's two children were Joseph and Edmund, born in 1851 and 1855. After John Hugh died in 1856 they eventually moved to Hull with their mother after she ran a guesthouse in Bridlington. Joseph is recorded as a railway clerk and Edmund as a fireman in the census, but given the location,  he could have been working at sea rather than on the railway. 


Below is an engraving showing an early railway signal and a signalman or "bobby", named because they were originally called railway policemen and wore uniforms similar to the civil police introduced by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel in 1829. Its likely that signals like this were erected at Woodlesford but its not known precisely where they were located.