Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
1875
1882
1883
1885
1886
1890
1892
1897
1900
1904
1906
1909
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
 
The front page of the Rothwell Times in January 1892.
 
Click on the dates to the left to read items from local newspapers, principally the Rothwell Times which was published weekly on a Friday from 1873. For some years items about Oulton and Woodlesford have been transcribed and for a few selected years there is a pdf copy of a full year of the paper, although some dates may be missing. 
 
Initially the Rothwell Times had only one page of local news surrounded by advertisements but as the paper grew each edition usually consisted of 8 pages.
 
As with most newspapers of the time the front page usually carried advertisements, mainly for Leeds based shops, along with a railway timetable. Pages 2 and 3 and 6 and 7 were taken up with syndicated national and international news reprinted from other newspapers.
 
Reproduced here are pages 4, 5 and sometimes page 8. They carried Rothwell area advertisements, news from the district, sporting fixtures and reports. The main focus was on the meetings of local government including the school boards and Poor Law guardians. Church and chapel activities were also prominent and from time to time political controversies were reflected in letters to the editor, although many were printed anonymously.
 
The paper was established and edited by Andrew Marshall. He was born in 1844 at Twillingate, an island just off the coast of Newfoundland, where his father, the Rev. William Marshall from Durham, was a Methodist minister. After William died in 1846 his mother brought Andrew to live in Newcastle with her husband's family. Eventually they moved to Rothwell in 1855 after she married Richard Seanor, the owner of the Rothwell match factory. 
 
By the time he was 17 years old Andrew was apprenticed to a cloth merchant but a few years later he established a stationery shop on Commercial Street in Rothwell and it was from there that the Rothwell Times was created. His son Percy later joined the business as a printer and compositor. 
 
News about the Rothwell district also featured regularly in the Wakefield Express and the Leeds Mercury and its rival, the Leeds Intelligencer, which became the Yorkshire Post. A competitor to the Rothwell Times, the Rothwell and Methley Free Press, was started in 1890 and was published for 11 years. Another paper, the Rothwell Express, only seems to have been published for a few months in 1901.
 
The Rothwell Times itself was absorbed into the Rothwell Courier and Times in 1913 and it survived until 1923. By 1911 Andrew Marshall had become the rate collector for the Rothwell Urban District Council. He'd also been clerk to the Rothwell school board and throughout his life was active in the Methodist church. He died in 1923.    
 
(The pdf files of the full paper are quite large and may take a few minutes to download. Depending on the size of your screen you may need to zoom in on the image and scroll down to read from week to week.)
 
The Rothwell Times was ten years old when this photo of Andrew Marshall and his staff was taken in 1883. The billboard is marking the passing of the act for the East and West Yorkshire Union Railways through Rothwell, Woodlesford and Oulton to Drax. Despite the opitmism a lack of capital and railway politics meant that most of the line had to abandoned and a much shorter section from Rothwell to Lofthouse was finally opened in 1891. It was later extended to Stourton.