Water Haigh colliery had two 0-6-0 steam locomotives for shunting duties on the pit top. Here Whit No. 4 is seen in the 1960s with an empty wagon. The houses in the background are on Eshald Lane. The loco, which had 17 inch cylinders, was built by Hudswell Clarke in Hunslet in 1951 and is painted in the maroon livery of the Yorkshire area of the National Coal Board.