John Robert Favill brought his general dealing business to Oulton and Woodlesford in the 1880s after establishing it in the Holbeck area of Leeds. He was born in Holton Le Moor in Lincolnshire and had worked as a quarry labourer in Headingley before meeting and marrying his wife, Mary, who came from Kirkham near Malton. In Oulton they lived on Calverley Road and employed Herbert Rhodes as a drayman who took over the business at some point before the First World War before John Robert died without children at the age of 64 in 1910. The White Rose and Royal Daylight advertised on the wagon cover were brands of kerosene for lamps and stoves made by the Anglo American Oil Company. This photograph was taken in the early 1900s at the bottom of Midland Street with Baden Street in the background on the right.
Grandways supermarket in the 1970s.