Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
Needless Inn
Mill House
Oulton Institute
Second World War
Oulton Band
Sewage Works
Scouts
Feasts and Fairs
Drama Society
Policemen
Flower Shows
Drill Hall
Beecroft Yard
Cloverfield House
New Woodlesford
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
Looking up Midland Street in the early 1960s. White Street is the row
nearest the camera. Woodhall's off license at the end of White Street
sold Bentley's bottled beer and "Sc otspop" made by Scott's of Drighlington.
A shop owned by a family called Simpson had occupied the vacant plot
behind the tree on the left of the picture.
 

The eight rows of terraced houses off Midland Street or Hobb Lane, known at first as New Woodlesford, were built in about 1874. The top row was constructed from brick but the other seven were erected using stone from adjacent quarries. Three of the rows were built with shops on the end closest to Midland Street. The builder was John Atkinson, a Methley man who had trained as a carpenter with his father.

 

When they were finished and occupied with tenants the freehold to the houses was put up for sale in April 1877 and sold by auction at the Midland Hotel on the 14th of May. At that time John Atkinson was living at Harewood Villa at the top of Midland Street. In a newspaper advert in October 1877 he described himself as an architect when he was looking for bricklayers to work on new houses he was building with John Bickerdike, a Methley farmer, at Newton on the edge of Wakefield.

 

However John was declared bankrupt on 22 August 1878. Six weeks later his building materials and household furniture and effects were auctioned off. They included a quantity of panelled doors, window sash frames and a "superior quality drawing-room suite, upholstered in crimson red." There was also a bay horse, "quiet to ride and drive," and a "Whitechapel" two-wheeled cart. In the census three years later John was described as "out of employ."

 

An extract from the Ordnance Survey map of 1910.

 

John Atkinson was born in Methley in 1840. In 1851 his father, also John,  employed one man and an apprentice. At Ferrybridge, in 1863, John married Sarah Thompson from Hull. They had four children - James, George, Ada and Henry.

 

In 1891 John was living with 20 year old Ada at Lilian Street in the Burley district of Leeds. He was still described as a builder and his daughter was working in the clothing industry making mantles, the cape-like jackets worn by Victorian ladies over their crinoline dresses. John's wife, her mother, Mary Ann Thompson, and James were living in one of the New Woodlesford houses. Why the family were separated is unknown but it may have been that it was easier for John to get work in the city. In 1892 Ada married Walter Wheatley, a confectioner from Burley who later became a cutlery manufacturer. Henry became a farm labourer on the outskirts of Leeds. 

 

By 1901 John was a described as a farmer and was reunited with Sarah and son James at Little Smeaton near Hemsworth. In this census he was recorded as being "lame and paralysed" suggesting he may have had an accident. This could have taken place much earlier, as the 1891 census didn't record physical disabilities, and it may have been that an accident was the cause of his bankruptcy.

 

Nearly thirty years after they were built the rows of houses in New Woodlesford were named after generals who had led the British army during the Boer War fought in South Africa between October 1899 and May 1902. They were Robert Baden-Powell, Sir John French, R.A.P. Clements, Sir George White, Redvers Buller, Lord Kitchener and Frederick Roberts.  

 

Baden, Powell, French and Clements Streets were demolished in the 1960s to make way for Midland House and the end houses and shops on the other streets were also pulled down when Midland Street was widened. 

 

New Woodlesford was put up for sale in 1877. 
 
The sale of John Atkinson's property after he was declared
bankrupt in 1878.
 
The fish and chip shop at the end of Buller Street as seen from 3 Claremont Street. in the late 1950s. Miner Herbert Cowell and his wife Maggie were photographed by their son Colin setting off to do their shopping Castleford.