Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
Needless Inn
Mill House
Oulton Institute
Second World War
Oulton Band
Sewage Works
Scouts
Feasts and Fairs
Drama Society
Policemen
Flower Shows
Drill Hall
Beecroft Yard
Cloverfield House
New Woodlesford
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
Oulton Band in the early 1920s. Cornet player Billy Williams, who became the manager at Water Haigh colliery, is fourth from
the right on the back row. Frank Higgins, who wasa miner at Water Haigh, is on the far left of the back row.
The band rehearsed in a room at the New Masons and led the procession at the annual "demonstration"
to raise money for the Leeds General Infirmary. A whist drive, organised by Herbert Jones, was held at the Welfare Club in January
1926 to raise money for new instruments but it met with "only moderate support". In June 1926, during the 6 month long miners'
strike, the band played at an open air service conducted by the Vicar of Oulton, Rev. W.E. Worsley M.C. The service took place
on the Croft Field where £2.15s was raised by the Churchworkers' Union for the fund set up to provide meals for children during
the strike. The Reverend Geoffrey Mercer attempted to revive the band in the early 1950s.
 
Bandsman Frank Higgins who went on to play with the Yorkshire
Hussars Band. He met his wife, Daisy, while playing with Oulton
Band at the Boot and Shoe Inn in Woodlesford.
 
An earlier incarnation of the band. In May 1862 they took part in a brass band contest at Scarborough. Most of the other bands which came from across Yorkshire played selections from operas but Oulton, along with Malton, played the Hallelujah chorus from Handel's "Messiah." They didn't win.
 
Oulton Band at Oulton Hall. The original photo was damaged hence the missing faces on the left.  A clergyman is in the
middle of the back row and the man standing behind the band is believed to be John Selwin Calverley which would date the
picture before his death in 1900.