Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Woodlesford School
Oulton School
Rothwell Grammar School
Royds School
John Biscomb Plows
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
A group of pupils at Oulton St. John's School in about 1922. One of them was Dorothy May Fisher.
 

Children pose for the photographer outside Oulton St. John's school shortly before the First World War. 

 

Oulton St. John's school football team in the 1944 season when they won three trophies. On the left
is the Rothwell Charity Cup. A crowd of about 600 people turned up to watch the final with the gate
money being donated to local hospitals. Team members each received five 6d savings stamps for
winning. On the right is the Bowden Cup and in the middle is the Barkston Ash Shield which was
won at Micklefield against a team of evacuees from London.
Back row: Norman Wilson, Charlie Cornish, Raymond Smales, Tom Woolford, headmaster John
Biscomb Plows, Trevor Smales, Melvyn Lunn.
Front row: Ernest Cornish, Dennis Watson, Alan Fox, Eric Fox, Derek Flint.
 

Plan for alterations to the school in 1905.