"Elizabeth" with a rake of "Jubilee" tipper wagons. In the background is the ropeway which carried colliery waste to be dumped on the slag heap between the canal and the River Aire.
The photographs on this page were taken by John Dawson between 1968 and 1970 just before Water Haigh colliery closed. John was a member of the Leeds University Railway Society and organised several officially recognized visits when he and his fellow members were allowed to roam around the pit top.
After closure "Elizabeth" was transferred to Savile colliery at Methley in 1970 but is reported to have been unpopular with drivers due to its long wheelbase. In 1971 "Whit No. 4" was taken to Prince of Wales pit at Pontefract hauled by a Class 31 diesel locomotive. Another loco, S101, was scrapped on site at Water Haigh in 1969.
Click here for more details.
"Whit No 1" shunting 16 ton mineral wagons loaded with coal into the Water Haigh departure sidings ready to be hauled away by a mainline engine. The Midland mainline can be seen in the background. The bridge in the foreground was built in 1909. The contractors were John Butler and Company of the Stanningley Iron Works in Leeds. The line which ran under it connected Armitage's quarry and brickworks to the railway and to a wharf on the Woodlesford cut of Aire and Calder Navigation.
"Elizabeth" pushing three "Jubilee" wagons loaded with stones and muck from underground workings on its way to be tipped. In the background is Clumpcliffe and on the far right houses on Shelley Crescent on the Coal Board estate are just visible.
After passing underneath the mainline this is "Elizabeth" a few moments after the photograph above. In the background is the Regent oil terminal adjacent to the canal at Fleet Mills.