Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Woodlesford School
Oulton School
Rothwell Grammar School
Royds School
John Biscomb Plows
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
Workmen fixing the road outside Oulton St. John's School.  
 
In the playground at Woodlesford School in the 1950s.
 

Coached by teacher Alfie Howells this football team from Woodlesford school won a record number of trophies in the 1946/47 season. They're pictured here at the Rabbit Trap ground in early July 1947 after they beat Rothwell schoolboys to win the Rothwell Charity Cup. A week later they defeated Mickletown 3 - 0 to come top of the Woodlesford and District Schools League, the first time a team had won all five available trophies since the league was formed.  Their achievement was greeted with much enthusiasm in Oulton and Woodlesford and £50 was collected which went towards 16 cups for the players and a tea and social evening. The football shirts were blue and red stripes. In the background of the photo are the garages of Smith and Robinson's transport business.

Back row: Alfie Howells, David Bickerdyke, Kenny Biggs, Terry Hollis, John "Snowy" Atkinson, Colin Ellis, Terry Parkinson.

Front row: John Alderson, Roy Abbishaw, Dicky Hughes, Roy Dennison, Terry Joyce, Cyril East.