Skip to main content


The Story of a Station
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Needless Inn
Mill House
Oulton Institute
Second World War
Oulton Band
Sewage Works
Feasts and Fairs
Drama Society
Flower Shows
Drill Hall
Beecroft Yard
Cloverfield House
New Woodlesford
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Post Offices
Site Map
Historical Dates
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
Special Constables. Water Haigh manager Billy Williams is second from the right on the front row. George Hudson, a sergeant
in the regular police force, is second from the right on the back row. The first recorded incident of the Second World War locally
was just two weeks after Germany invaded Poland when 6 year old Kenneth Walsh fell in an air raid trench and fractured his arm.
The trench had been dug "by someone with good intent" on an old council rubbish tip near Back Eshald Place. A week or so later
an air raid shelter was built close to the Midland Hotel and bus stops on Aberford Road. The special constables main duty seems
to have been making sure lights weren't showing from houses during the blackout. Their first prosecution came at the end of
November when housewife Alice Roberts was fined 20 shillings at Leeds West Riding Court for "showing a light in a dwelling
Oulton and Woodlesford Auxilliary Fire Service in the Second World War. This group consists of S. Neale, G. Thackrah, Arthur Thorp, H.R. Cockerill, section leader E. Bates, and Walt Scase who was a motorcycle dispatch rider who was killed in an accident whilst on the way to a fire which had been started by a group of "yobs".
This photo was taken at the A.F.S. base on Midland Street. Ted Marsh is on the far right. Frank Higgins is third from
the left on the front row. The first incident they had to deal with was on Tuesday 7 November 1939 when straw in a covered
railway van at Armitage's quarry caught fire. The alarm was raised at 5.30pm and the dense smoke meant that traffic on
Aberford Road had to be diverted along Eshald Place. The Stanley A.F.S. were also called out and it took until 7.40pm
to put the fire out. Luckily incendiary bombs dropped by the Luftwaffe were few and far between during the war.
Makeshift fire engines.
Cup winners. Ted Marsh is on the left of the front row. Bill Alderson is standing behind him. Frank Higgins
is on the far right of the second row.