Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
North Midland Railway
Opening of the Line
Midland Railway
Toffs and Trains
Maps & Plans
Accidents
Carriage Mishap
Station Building
Wagon Labels
Tickets
Posters & Handbills
Timetables
Royal Visits
Express Trains
Coal Trains
Diesel Multiple Units
Pullman Carriages
Diversions
Streaks
Sheffield Stopper
Freight Trains
Goods and Parcels
Flying Scotsman
Station House
Footbridge
Scarborough Spa Express
Travelling to Leeds
Train Control
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
An unusual coloured postcard, postmarked 1909, showing the junction of Aberford Road with Station Lane. A large block of stone from Armitage's quarry is being carried to the station goods yard. Based on information given to the Rothwell Advertiser in 1970 by Lillie Abbey its believed the photograph was taken in about 1905 and the woman standing in the road is her mother, Edith Hitchin, who worked at Bentley's brewery. Edith's husband was a colliery labourer and they lived at Oakdene Yard. Edith's father was plumber William Henry Hoyle. The boy on the pavement is believed to be William Webster who also lived in Oakdene Yard. He was born in 1892 and when the photograph was taken he was a butcher's delivery boy but later followed his father into a local pit.
 
The station house, for use by the station master and his family, was built by the Midland Railway in
1865 at a cost of £258 10s 8d. Prior to 1865 they had lived on the top floor of the station building.
 
The gate and path up to the house from the cobbled station yard. Just visible on the right
is a large gate which was drawn across the entrance on Sundays when the station was closed.
 
An atmospheric view of the house taken by station master Tom Swaby shortly before he
emigrated to Australia in 1971. When they left the Swabys gave their cat, Sooty, to the Hudson
family who lived on Pottery Hill but it appears he was homesick and often went missing only
to be found back at the station house so it was decided he should live with the new owners.
 
 
Looking across from the Lynwood estate on a winter's day in the 1960s.