Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
John Hugh Mowatt
William Henry Casson
Job Starbuck
James McDonald
Thomas William Turner
Edward Marshall Cook
Edwin James Deverell
Christopher Lowis
Reginald Arkinstall
Robert Harold Roberts
John Williams Pierce
Tom Swaby
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
Woodlesford station in 1959 by John Thorp.

Rather like Church of England clergy, railway station masters came and went. Some stayed for a long time, brought up their families in the village and became pillars of the community. Others were more transient and stayed for just a few months. Here is a timeline of the station masters who worked at Woodlesford from its opening in 1840 until it was downgraded to an unmanned halt in 1970. Click on the links for more on the individuals and their families.

1840
184? - 1856 John Hugh Mowatt
1856 - 1863 Henry Casson
1863 - 1866 Job Starbuck
1866 - 1867 James McDonald
18?? - 1871 Henry Wilson
1911 - 1924 Christopher Lowis
1939 - 1947 John Williams Pierce
1947 - 1951 Spencer Hind
1953 - 1970 Tom Swaby

Dates compiled from research by Glynn Waite of the Midland Railway Society
 
This view was taken from the Pottery Lane bridge before 1910. Midland Railway wagons are stabled in the long siding next to the Up line.