Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Old Masons
Midland Hotel
New Masons
Three Horse Shoes
Two Pointers
White Hart
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
The Two Pointers during the landlordship of Jonathan Craven which ran from 1861 until his death in 1887. He took over the inn after his
father died. Thomas Craven had been landlord since the 1830s. The landlord in the latter part of the 19th century was Rothwell born 
Joe Newsome. He was also a traveller for Bentley's and ran the pub with his wife, Anne. Before the pub they had a shop which also sold beer
on the amusingly named Temperance Street off Midland Street! They made enough money to buy land worth £250 on Holmsley Lane where
in 1892 they built a row of four stone houses. After their retirement they lived in one of the houses which was given the name Hazeldene.
Joe died in 1915 and Anne passed away in 1931 leaving over £50,000 in her will at today's prices. 
 
This is believed to be a Woodlesford football team from the mid-1930s which played under the name Armitage's Sports. The photo was taken at the back of the Two Pointers with Woodleford church in the backround. It was displayed in Sam Garland's barber shop for many years.
Back row: Len Ellis, George Smith, Wild, Unknown, Eddie Joyce, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Sid Ellis, Percy Boyes.
Middle row seated: None identified.
Front row: Harry Ellis, Albert Jones.