Skip to main content


The Story of a Station
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Water Haigh Colliery
1910 Disaster
1921 Strike
1933 Explosion
Meet The Miner
Ambulance Teams
Lady Docker
Frank Williams
Fred Warburton
Billy Williams
Albert Roberts MP
Walter Kellett
Fred Baxter
Fred Lunn
Victor Lucek
Glyn Edwards
Dave Fallowfield
Jack Carrington
Hugh McClelland
Frank Papuga
Frances Rigby
Arthur Wrigglesworth
Dennis Watson
George Gater
Harry Ellis
Winding Gear
Colliery Plans
Outing Club
Ian Wallace
Jim Hardwick
Grafton Whincup
Eric Rymer
Terry Greaves
Deaths and Injuries
Stan Penn
Jack Varley
Charles Nankervis
Richard Knowles
William Hemingway
Pit Top Locos
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Post Offices
Site Map
Historical Dates
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert
William Lunn MP
Victor Lucek had a quite a journey before he arrived at Water Haigh. In 1948 he walked over mountains from Bohemia to Bavaria to escape the post-war communist regime in his native Czechoslovakia. After a spell in a former concentration camp in Germany he travelled by train and ship to a refugee camp at Donington Hall in Leicestershire. From there he commuted to work for two years at a brick works at Swadlincote in Derbyshire.
He then moved to become a conductor on the buses in Nottingham and transferred to to do the same job in Leeds. Later he was attracted to pit work in the mid-1950s by the higher wages. He started at No 1 pit bottom at Water Haigh loading tubs of coal into the cage to be wound up to the top of the shaft, and was then trained and promoted to become a fully fledged miner working mainly in a seam in the West Bord area of the colliery.
Ironically at Water Haigh he found his interests were looked after by a notorious local communist, Bob Wilkinson, a branch official of the National Union of Mineworkers. It was alleged by some that he was under orders from the Soviet Union!
Victor was one of many European Voluntary Workers at Water Haigh, allowed into the country by the Labour government between 1946 and 1949. Many were political refugees from Eastern Europe including Yugoslavs who had fought against Tito, and Poles who had fought with the allies in the Second World War and who hadn't returned home.
Others were economic migrants who were brought over to boost industrial production. Indeed there were so many different nationalities at Water Haigh, who, by all accounts, got on remarkably well together, that the pit was nicknamed "The League of Nations". In later years a number of Sikhs from India and men from the West Indies also joined the workforce.
After Water Haigh closed in 1970 Victor moved first to Newmarket pit and then went to Allerton Bywater where he ended his career as a deputy. Click on the links below to hear his remarkable story.
Victor and his wife Barbara.