This photo, taken in the mid-1930s, shows the landlord and some of the regulars at the White Hart in Woodlesford. The landlord was Thomas Hurst
Almond. He's seated in the middle wearing a white shirt and a waistcoat. Next to him is his wife and they are flanked by their daughters, Mary and
Lily. Tom was born in Hunslet in 1887 and was working as a cabinet maker in Burmantofts when he married Edith Fawkes in 1917. Standing third
from the left at the back is Samuel Wark who worked on the pit top at Water Haigh. Born in 1898 near Limavady in County Londonderry he's believed
to have migrated to Yorkshire just after the First World War. Two of his brothers also came to live in Carlton and Swillington. It's possible that
agricultural labourer Matthew Wark and his wife Bridget, who had also come from County Londonderry in about 1892, were their relations.
They had lived at Methley but later moved to one of the cottages at Astley, close to the Old Engine pit on the Lowther estate where there was a small
Irish community. Sam Wark married Ethel Johnson at Woodlesford church in 1923. She was the daughter of Charles Johnson, a brewer's labourer
originally from Stockton-on-Forest. For several years Sam, Ethel and their daughter Elsie lived with Ethel's parents at 13 Applegarth. They then moved to
Taylor's Yard at the junction of Applegarth and Church Street. In about 1939 they moved again to a new council house in Bryngate just before their house
was knocked down following a slum clearance order. The tall man third from the right in the back row is Sam's brother-in-law, Ernest Walker, and the
man next to him wearing a flat hat could be one of Sam's brothers. Tom Ellis, who worked behind the bar at the White Hart and also ran a fish and
chip shop in a wooden hut on Church Street, is in the middle row second from the right with his shirt sleeves rolled up. The woman standing behind
him is believed to be his wife, Lily. Tom, Lily and their granddaughter were tragically killed when gas leaked into their house in 1952. At about the time
the photo was taken the old White Hart was demolished and a new pub built in its place.