Skip to main content

Woodlesford

The Story of a Station
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Nibble and Clink
Murder at Oulton
Village Memories
Gallery
First World War
Local Papers
Edward Metcalf
Volter's Films
Oulton Hall
Woodlesford House
John Batty
Reverend Mercer
Woodlesford Station
Station Masters
Clerks and Porters
Signalmen and Platelayers
Enthusiasts & Passengers
Footplate Men & Guards
Excursions
Water Haigh Colliery
1910 Disaster
1921 Strike
1933 Explosion
Meet The Miner
Ambulance Teams
Lady Docker
Frank Williams
Fred Warburton
Billy Williams
Albert Roberts MP
Walter Kellett
Fred Baxter
Fred Lunn
Victor Lucek
Glyn Edwards
Dave Fallowfield
Jack Carrington
Hugh McClelland
Frank Papuga
Frances Rigby
Arthur Wrigglesworth
Dennis Watson
George Gater
Harry Ellis
Winding Gear
Colliery Plans
Outing Club
Ian Wallace
Jim Hardwick
Locomotives
Grafton Whincup
Eric Rymer
Terry Greaves
Deaths and Injuries
Stan Penn
Jack Varley
Charles Nankervis
Timeline
Richard Knowles
William Hemingway
Pit Top Locos
Bentley's Brewery
Armitage Quarries
Road Transport
Aire & Calder Navigation
Woodlesford Mill
Light Industries
Churches and Chapels
Schools
Merchants & Shops
Traction Engines
Farms and Farmers
Pubs
Post Offices
Sport
Site Map
Historical Dates
Doctors
EWYU Railway
Edwin Lambert

Looking up at the headstock to No 1 shaft which went down 249 yards to the Silkstone seam.


The winders kept the winding house in spotless condition and often worked in slippers as they constantly oiled the moving parts. This
photo shows Albert Clark busy with his oil can. He lived at methley and cycled to work along Fleet Lane. Visitors had to take off their
boots and walk on newspapers laid on the floor.

 

The first five photographs on this page of Water Haigh's steam driven winding gear were taken by enthusiast Bernard Mills on 30 January 1970. Coal production had stopped in April that year but the shafts were still being used for salvage work underground and coal from other collieries was being distributed by road.



The pit yard looking east towards Methley. The rectangular engine house for No 1 shaft is to the right of the tall chimney. The fitting shop with
its pitched roof is on the right of the picture. T
he top of the headstock for No 3 shaft is just visible to the left of No 1 headstock. No 3 shaft went
down 350 yards to the Beeston seam.  The green lorry in the foreground is loading coal from a hopper.



No. 1 winding house. On the board near the far window was a list of the bell codes between the winding engine driver and the pit bottom indicating

how far the cage should be raised or lowered to the different seams. It reads: To Raise 1; Stop When In Motion 1;  Lower 2; Men 3; Raise Steadily 4; Lower Steadily 5; Low Landing 6; Flockton 7; Silkstone 8; Last Man To Ride 9; Telephone 10. The circular object below the board was a gauge which showed the position of the cage in the shaft. The winder's controls are out of sight to the left of the photo in line with tbe board and gauge. Over the years sweat from operators' hands wore grooves in the brake handle.


Another view inside No 1 winding house.


The winding drum with the steel cable running up to the headstock through the wall. The plastic sheet on the guard rail was to stop oil from the steel cable being sprayed over the floor.


Photo by Derek Rayner.


Photo by Derek Rayner.